Since my very first blog post is falling on Halloween night (as I sit here in my cat costume for the party we're having at my apartment tonight) I thought I'd show you one of my favorite Halloween snacks.
I made these Caramel Apples for my boyfriend and our friends a couple weeks ago for an impromptu get together at our place. Making caramel apples is really easy (believe me, I'm not exactly a master in the kitchen) and delicious.
What you'll need:
Caramel (either a block of caramel or the mini caramel candies will work)
Popsicle sticks or skewers
Candy (optional, I used Reese's Pieces)
1. Put the apples in the fridge overnight. The caramel sticks better if they're really cold.
2. Melt the caramel in a pot that will be deep enough to dip almost the entire apple in. If you don't have a very deep pot you can always use a spoon to help cover the apple. Make sure to melt the caramel at a low heat and constantly stir it to keep it from burning.
3. Wash the apples and dry them thoroughly. Stick your Popsicle sticks or skewers in the top of each one.
4. Dip the apple so that it's 3/4 of the way covered, leaving just the top of the apple showing. As I said earlier, you can roll the apple on its side in the caramel or use a spoon to spread the caramel on the apple if you don't have a deep enough pot.
5. Place the caramel covered apples on non-stick foil and let them cool.
6. Optional step - To change things up try crushing candy and rolling the caramel covered apples in them before setting them down to dry.
7. Share and Enjoy!