Monday, November 14, 2011

Cleaning up

I spend most of my days off cleaning and organizing my apartment. I hate clutter and am always finding areas that need to organized and re-organized. So, after spending the morning getting inspired on Pinterist, I took on my bathroom cabinets. Luckily, I have a lot of storage space in my bathroom, especially for such a small apartment. However, more storage space sometimes leads to more of a mess. Our medicine cabinet was completely disorganized with bottles of medicine, boxes of Q-tips and beauty products everywhere. However, when I was finished I was left with this!


I started by tackling the top shelf, which was a mess of asprine bottles, band-aid's, cold pills, etc. I grabbed one of the cloth boxes I bought from Ikea last year and used it to corral everything into one organized space. These boxes weren't expensive but if you don't want to spend money, you can use wrapping paper to cover an old shoe box and make a pretty space to hold all of your health needs. Just make sure the box fits in your medicine cabinet. I grouped like items together in the box so that everything was easy to find. Putting everything in a box you can pull down off the shelf also makes it easier to get to what you need without struggling to see on the top shelf. 


Next I tackled the shelf of beauty products. One of the biggest problems there was the amount of space packaged products were taking up. For instance,  I took the Q-tips out of their box which was taking up most of the shelf and put them in a Tupperware container to save space. Then I took my disposable razors out of their packages and placed them in an old coffee mug that I wasn't using. Finally a took a long plastic tray (a dollar at Walgreens) and put all of my lipsticks, chapsticks and lipglosses inside. I also used a tiny pouch (free with a jewlery purchase at American Eagle) to keep all of my beauty "tools" together (tweezers, nail clippers, nail scissors, etc.) and placed it in the basket. 


Finally, I tackled the rest of my make up which was basically jammed into the plastic drawers on the bottom shelf. It was a disaster trying to find what I needed in the morning. First things first, make sure you go through your makeup and get rid of anything that's old or that you don't use anymore. Then I simply organized each drawer by what part of the face I used the products on. I made an "eye drawer" a "cheek drawer" and a "brush drawer" (I already had a "lip basket"). I fit all my bronzers, blushes, and concealers into the cheek drawer and all my eyeshadows, mascaras and eyeliners into the eye drawer. To keep the eyeliners organized I used another one of the small pouches to hold them together. I put all the different kinds of blush, bronzer, and eye shadow brushes I had in the brush drawer. I used a small case with brush openings to keep all the smaller brushes together since it's easy for them to get all over the place. 



Any smaller lotions or moisturizers  were placed in another small Tupperware on the bottom shelf. Now I have a medicine cabinet I love to look at, and getting ready is 10 times easier in the morning. My organization didn't stop there. In my next post I'll show you how I made hair, nail and even an ironing kit to keep everything together, in reach and easy to transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment